Blog comments, if used correctly, can prove to be a huge asset to your brand. The only problem with them is that people who work in SEO don’t really take advantage of the hidden treasure behind the stigma that surrounds blog comments.
Over the years, blog comments have been severely misused. Because of this, a fair amount of people have lost their faith in blog comment link building. The truth is that you can totally link build through blog comments, you just need to know how to make the best of it.
Blog comments have lost authority in the eyes of link builders, and are no longer considered a priority tactic. So, rather than dismissing blog comments altogether because it’s an ancient spammy link building tactic, it should be put to better use. Maybe reimagine it as a means to engage with the community. And be careful, if done wrong, blog comments can rapidly revert to their spammy origins.
The difference between spammy blog comments and good blog comments is leaving topically relevant comments on topically relevant sites. For example, you can’t go on a traveling blog and promote gaming computers.
Blog commenting links benefits
Active blog commenting has far more benefits than just helping you SEO-wise. Actively engaging in a number of blog communities and leaving daily comments can yield outstanding results:
- More traffic. If this is what you aim for, you can surely increase traffic by leaving relevant comments that include your link on just as relevant blogs with similar topics as what you are linking to.
- Expert positioning. People will get to acknowledge your expertise regarding different relevant topics. You can help someone with advice or just engage with the community, you will be noticed and appreciated.
- Reputation building. Blog comments can be used to build your personal brand just as well as anything else. Just make sure to use your real name and your real picture if the blog allows it. Don’t use keywords or anchor words in your name, because then you are doing blog commenting very, very wrong. You are only supposed to act humanly around other people and engage with them and appear trustworthy and customer-focused. It will help rocket your reputation skyward, as long as long as you stay relevant to the topic under discussion.
- Building inbound links. If you invest a little time to go on two or three blogs daily and post something along with a backlink back to your website, you will get pretty good results from next to no work.
- Generating leads and conversions. You can backlink to basically anything when you post on blog comments, so if you are selling something or have an affiliate link to share or link to a sales landing page, all the better. The most important thing here is being honest about where these links take people and also be relevant to the discussion, so just sell things that people on that specific blog are looking for.
The only downside of blog commenting is that it doesn’t really improve your ranking at all.
Now, you know how what you want to achieve from blog commenting and how to act, but a few more pointers and directions certainly won’t hurt:
- Look for high-quality websites to leave comments on. Shoot for a domain authority of over 60.
- After gathering enough websites and you are ready to go, search for articles that are most relevant to your target audience.
- Add value to your comments. Acknowledge the author and add a compliment to your post. Stay relevant to the post if you add a link.
- Keep it short and simple. Don’t write entire essays. Somewhere under 100 words should suffice.
- This cannot be stressed enough: Stay relevant to the topic. Your comment should be related to the post or the discussion in the comments. Never go off track.
In conclusion, all you have to do in order to get a little on-the-side link building is following these simple steps. It doesn’t take much time at all, and as long as you manually write your comments, so no copy/past or spam, you should be golden. If you have any questions, feel free to write to us at email@example.com or visit the Bitter Strawberry website! We are always happy to help!